We live in hectic times, our minds are always preoccupied with something or the other. We are less in our bodies than ever before. Being less in our bodies means we are less present. This is why these living in the present quotes are so needed and powerful.
In this article I will explain what is living in the present, why it is important and how to do it to end suffering.
And you will have 52 living in the present quotes to enjoy.
What is living in the Present?
You live in the present when you are not preoccupied with the past or the future.
Why Living in The Present Quotes are Important
The present is all we have. Although people have heard this many times, it does not make a difference to their lives.
There is a big gap between understanding it intellectually and really seeing and feeling it.
If you think about it now, you can easily get that when you think of the future, it is a thought. It’s the same when you look back at the past, it is not the past you are reliving but the thought of the past.
The past thoughts seem real because they are emotionally charged. They really get their hooks into us. We feel that the thought is actually what happened, we forget the thought is a thought about the past, not the actual past.
A thought is a limited view of what happened….
Thought does not capture everything. It does not include the atmosphere, the micro expressions people have, the subtle noises that are in every situation. It misses much of what we actually said.
Importantly, our mind makes up things it does not remember. So we will often imagine something happened but it did not, just to fill in the gap. We do not like not knowing.
This can be a hard pill to swallow, as we are all attached to our past joys and especially the pains. We do not want to let them go.
We are happy to say someone else is remembering things incorrectly or making them up. But when it comes to ourselves we are bias and think we remember everything perfectly.
This is important to know, not to feel bad and it does not mean we should not to trust anything we remember. Thoughts are useful , but we must see that thoughts are not the master we think they are.
What the Mystics have been saying…
If we go deeper and listen what the mystics have said, we see that thoughts are empty. When the mystics say “empty” they mean thoughts do not have a reality of their own and we do not think them.
They are like clouds. No one does clouds and clouds do not do themselves. Clouds do not have consciousness. Thoughts are clouds appearing.
So why is it important to live in the present?
Firstly the present is all we have, you can’t be anywhere else. When you think a thought about the future or past you are thinking it while you are in the present. Your body is still here. The present moment creates our life.
Secondly, when we make our thoughts the master, we suffer. The future thoughts can give us anxiety and the past ones make us angry and sad. Usually when we are suffering but don’t really know why, not enough presence is the culprit.
And finally we miss life. Because life happens only now, if we obsess over thoughts we miss it. Before you know it’s coming to an end. I doubt if many people when they are dying say, “I wish I spent more time thinking.”
How to Live in the Present and Boost the Power of the Living in Present Quotes
No one can really tell you how to live in the present, you have to experience it yourself to embrace life as it is happening.
However, there are some pointers that can lead you experience it.
1. You have taken the first step,
Which is to understand what thoughts represent and how they make you suffer. Also you have understood that life happens “now” and not in your imagination.
This understanding will help you break the hold thoughts might have on you. Maybe not completely but they it can loosen it and help you live life consciously.
2. Think back to times when you were fully present.
You might have been fully present at the birth of your child, or when you saw something else beautiful. Often when when go somewhere new we drop our habitual thinking and drop into the reality of now.
As yourself what you were doing at those times, mentally and emotionally. In other words what was going on inside of you at that time?
This might give you some insights about your thoughts and internal habits.
3. Spend time in nature.
Spending time in nature seems like that antidote for many things, no less so for living in the present. Nature does not think, it is always present. Look at a tree, you can see and feel the grounded present energy.
When you walk in nature, you will align with that energy. Depending on how much in your head you are, it can a take a few minutes or a a couple of hours.
Observe yourself when this happens, what did you have to do to become present? Anything?
4. Spend time with your children and Animals.
If you have your own children you will understand how present they are, animals are the same.
Being around them can help you drop into that same energy. Again, be mindful of how it feels and what you did.
Remember, you are always present, it’s only thoughts that make it seem like that you get out of it. Keep in this in mind when you ask what you have to do to get present.
What do you need to do to be where you already are?
How to Use the Living in the Present Quotes
Use these living in the present quotes as reminders of where you already are. You’re always here and now.
Read them often and contemplate what they mean. Enjoy them and relish them as you would a delicious meal.
Try to experience what they mean, do not make it an intellectual exercise. There is nothing wrong with using your intelligence, but the real magic is in the physical experience of being present in this very moment.
52 Living in The Present Quotes
1. “The best way to predict the future is to create it NOW.” – Peter Drucker
2. “Life is available only in the present moment.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
3. “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, which is why we call it the present.” – Bil Keane
4. “Realize deeply that the present moment is all you ever have.” – Eckhart Tolle
5. “Be present in all things and thankful for all things.” – Maya Angelou
6. “The present moment is filled with joy and happiness. If you are attentive, you will see it.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
7. “The point of power is always in the present moment.” – Louise L. Hay
8. “Mindfulness isn’t difficult, we just need to remember to do it.” – Sharon Salzberg
9. “The only way to live is by accepting each minute as an unrepeatable miracle.” – Tara Brach
10. “The present moment is the only time over which we have dominion.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
11. “Wherever you are, be all there.” – Jim Elliot
12. “Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.” – Søren Kierkegaard
13. “Living in the moment means letting go of the past and not waiting for the future.” – Oprah Winfrey
14. “The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness.” – Abraham Maslow
15. “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” – Buddha
16. “Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.” – Jim Rohn
17. “The art of life is to live in the present moment.” – Emmet Fox
18. “You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment.” – Henry David Thoreau
19. “Forever is composed of nows.” – Emily Dickinson
20. “The present is a point just passed.” – David Russell
21. “The here and now is all we have, and if we play it right it’s all we’ll need.” – Ann Richards
22. “Life is a succession of moments, to live each one is to succeed.” – Corita Kent
23. “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” – Oscar Wilde
24. “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” – Amit Ray
25. “Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” — Buddha
26. “The present changes the past. Looking back you do not find what you left behind.” – Kiran Desai
27. “In the present, there is never any need for control.” – Mooji
28. “The present is the ever moving shadow that divides yesterday from tomorrow. In that lies hope.” – Frank Lloyd Wright
29. “Every moment is a fresh beginning.” – T.S. Eliot
30. “The only time is now, and the only place is here.” – Dan Millman
31. “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.” – Buddha
32. “Life is a preparation for the future; and the best preparation for the future is to live as if there were none.” – Albert Einstein
33. “The present moment, if you think about it, is the only time there is. No matter what time it is, it is always now.” – Marianne Williamson
34. “Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.” – Omar Khayyam
35. “If you aren’t in the moment, you are either looking forward to uncertainty, or back to pain and regret.” – Jim Carrey
36. “Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal. Live this day as if it were your last. The past is over and gone. The future is not guaranteed.” – Wayne Dyer
37. “Life gives you plenty of time to do whatever you want to do if you stay in the present moment.” — Deepak Chopra
38. “The only real thing is the present moment. Embrace it fully.” – Jay Shetty
39. “The greatest gift you can give someone is your time because when you give your time, you are giving a portion of your life that you will never get back.” – Anonymous
40. “The present moment is such an eternal wonder.” Unknown
41. “With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
42. “Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet.” – Sarah Louise Delany
43. “Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
44. “Happiness, not in another place but this place…not for another hour, but this hour.” – Walt Whitman
45. “The present moment is a powerful goddess.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
46. “Always say ‘yes’ to the present moment… Surrender to what is. Say ‘yes’ to life – and see how life suddenly starts working for you rather than against you.” – Eckhart Tolle
47. “I never think of the future – it comes soon enough.” – Albert Einstein
48. “The only thing we ever have is now.” – Leo Buscaglia
49. “The present time has one advantage over every other – it is our own.” – Charles Caleb Colton
50. “The past is behind, learn from it. The future is ahead, prepare for it. The present is here, live it.” – Thomas S. Monson
51. “No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future.” – Roy T. Bennett
52. “Don’t let the past steal your present.” Cherralea Morgan
These living in the present quotes are a great way to remember what you have forgotten, you are always present. You cannot be anywhere else.
Don’t forget, it is the physical and emotional experience that is important, not just the mental understanding. Life is such a mysterious phenomenon, it would be shame not to live it as it was intended.
In addition to reading these present moment quotes, spend time in nature, understand the nature of your thoughts and spend time with animals. Animals and nature are always present, they will help connect with your natural state.
By reading this far, you have already understood more than most people about your thinking and how you perceive the past, present and too much future. You are now well equipped to end unnecessary suffering or at the very least reduce it.
Most of all relax and enjoy these quotes, Intuition strikes when you are calm.
The present moment is such a great gift.