In this article we are going to look at the Kaya Mudra (body seal) called yoga mudrasana. It is an advanced variation of bound lotus pose and has many physical and energetic benefits.
You will learn how to do it, it’s benefits and precautions you need to take.
What is Yoga Mudrasana
Yoga mudrasana, also known as psychic union pose, is a body seal. You do it by sitting and bending forward. It targets the whole body especially the core and spine.
This body seal helps flow of psychic energy and opens psychic energy centers
Mudra means seal, asana means posture. So this a seal with a body posture. That is, you seal the energy of the body while in this posture.
It is part of Ashtanga Padmasana sequences.
How To Do Yoga Mudrasana
Yoga Mudrāsana steps…
Begin in a seated position, ideally in Padmasana (Lotus Pose). If Lotus Pose is not easy, you can sit in Ardha Padmasana (Half Lotus Pose) or Sukhasana (Easy Pose).
Position the Hands:
Take your hands behind your back. Hold your left wrist with your right hand.
Sit tall, lengthening your spine. Breathe in deeply.
Exhale and Bend Forward:
As you exhale, start to bend forward from your hips, keeping your spine long and straight. Try to bring your forehead to the ground. In the final position, your forehead might touch the floor, or it might not — both are okay. The emphasis is on a deep, introspective forward bend.
Hold the Pose:
Once in the forward-bent position, stay there for a few deep breaths or as long as is comfortable. Continue to breathe deeply, and with each exhale relax and deepen the bend. Do not force it.
Inhale and Return:
To come out of the pose, inhale and slowly lift your torso back to the seated position.
Sit quietly for a few moments, observing the sensations in your body and the calmness of your mind.
- Keep the spine long and straight throughout the pose. Avoid rounding the back.
- If your forehead doesn’t reach the ground, that’s fine. It’s more about the inward journey and surrender than the physical depth of the pose.
- Use props, like a cushion under the buttocks, to make the seated position more comfortable.
- As with any yoga practice it’s crucial to listen to your body, respect its limits. Do not push into pain.
- Practice Yoga Mudrasana with breath awareness to improve the flow of prana and boost energy levels.
- You can also bring awareness to the Solar Plexus or visualize the flow of prana along the spine.
Benefits of Yoga Mudrasana
- Increases flexibility and mobility.
- Stretches the entire body, especially the spine, core, and shoulder area. Which helps prevent shoulder, back, and sciatic related problems.
- Tones the abdomen.
- It massages the organs.
- It improves autonomic nerve function.
- Mudrasana moves energy up the spine therefore helps to awaken kundalini, while also balancing the lower body Chakras.
Precautions For Yoga Mudrasana
Yoga Mudrasana is an advanced movement. You will need good flexibility to perform it.
Seek medical advice before you do it, if you…
- Have sciatica,
- Are pregnant or menstruating
- Have Leg and knee issues
- Have eye conditions
- Suffer hip ailments
If you are still not sure if you should be doing it, consult a yoga teacher and a medical professional before trying this yoga body seal.
Yoga mudrasana is a body seal that involves being seated and bending forward.
There are several benefits of this whole body yogic seal. It stretches the spine and massages your organs. It also opens and balances your psychic centres. Whence it is called the psychic union pose.
It is an advanced pose, so seek medical advice if you are pregnant or have lower body joint issues.
You can prepare fro this pose with easier poses like the child pose and lotus pose.
To enhance it’s benefits, become aware of your breath while you practice yoga mudra asana. This will help the flow of prana and open your energy centres.